Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 51: "Ranger Danger"

Dear Family and Friendzos.

Well, another week has passed and gone in a FLASH. I really need to start writing down the best highlights, because it goes by so quickly you can lose it if you aren't careful!

Last P-Day Sister Capitan and I decided to go downtown on some adventures. See pictures attached. It feels good to be spontaneous!!

I thought I saw a theatre downtown that I wanted to see if I could tour - like a live theatre. Well...it was a movie theatre, so we didn't go in. How embarrassing. I can't wait to come back after my mission and really explore!

Tuesday was PACKED! Appointments all day! That rarely happens, folks. We were up and down and everywhere that day, and we even got to go out with three different members during the day! 
That evening we had dinner with Sister Willes. She told us the amazing story of her son, who has had an interesting life. He had a wife and kids, but then got into a huge addiction to meth. He ended up losing everything. He got in trouble with the law, and was on international news because he was shot down - 21 times - by the police. And he survived. He lost an arm, a leg, his teeth, and has several scars. But from this experience, he turned his life around. He overcame his addiction, and now is a runner. He is going into the Para-Olympics as part of the first United States Para-Olympic Bobsled team. But even more inspirational is what he does. He goes around Idaho and Utah and does drug awareness assemblies for schools, since he himself is an object lesson. He has since remarried, and is a business owner. It's an incredible turnaround.

Wednesday was the day of unexpected but good opportunities! We taught two college students about the Book of Mormon. It's a common misconception that the events in the Book of Mormon take place in the 1800's. They're usually shocked when we tell them the history and record goes from 600BC to 400AD. I love teaching about the Book of Mormon. That book has changed my life. Wednesday night we got to visit Aubrey! She was miraculously released from prison. She had been into drugs, but after getting in trouble a few times she reached out to God. She is the most sincerely and humbly changed person I've ever met, and I think that's why they allowed her to come out early. She's completely overcome her addictions, and is faithfully coming to church. We love her and her family.

Thursday was good! Friday we met a less-active couple who are into costume design and theatre! They had some AMAZING cosplay costumes they showed us, including a detailed Halo helmet! It was fun to get in a creative frame of mind again. They are wonderful.

Saturday we watched "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration" with Tiffany. I love that film. I even know an actor in the beginning, I got to do makeup in a show with him at BYU! He'll be famous one day. ;) Tiffany had MANY questions that she would stop the movie for, and we would answer. She has some pretty amazing questions, but she's also heard many many things about the church, some true and others false. There is a lot out there, that's for sure.

Sunday our highlight was meeting a baptist minister couple who have a pretty amazing life story.  They invited us back for dinner on Saturday! He proposed to her with an airplane dragging the words, "Valerie I luv u, will you marry me?" Of course she said yes! He had the press there as well, so it was on the news! And then he had a surprise wedding for her, which was also covered by the national news. Pretty crazy story. They have many family members who are LDS.

I love you all! Keep busy, keep working hard, and remember that you are LOVED beyond what you can imagine! :) I know we have a loving Heavenly Father who we can trust completely. He loves us, and is aware of us. He sent his son, so that through Him we can be free. :) 4th Nephi 3. This Gospel brings so much happiness. It helps me to have a greater love for all those around me, no matter who they are or what they believe. It helps me to find guidance and direction, and to feel good about the direction I take in my life. I couldn't be more grateful for it.

You are the best friends and family anyone could ask for! 

Love, 
Sister Bennett


No comments:

Post a Comment