Monday, June 9, 2014

Week 29: "Taber Corn!"

June 9, 2014
Dear Family, Friends, and everyone in between. :)

This week we're emailing a little late due to a little doctor run, but all is well.
 
First item of business: What is happening in the NHL playoffs?!? I'm pretty sure I heard New York Rangers are in the finals, and believe it or not I chose them! AND I've never had a team of mine make it to the finals, so I might win this year! Huzzah!

Alright, and back to the mission. We've had some fun as a district doing a massive farmyard project on Saturday morning! I think we're weed/pulling/whacking professionals by now. I have a lovely farmer's tan from it. We were serving Joe - who's sense of humor reminds me of Dad. I think the highlight of the day was that I became the designated corn planter. Joe had no idea I had come from the corn capital of Canada (and proud of it), but he assigned me to it anyway! I've never planted so much corn consecutively. I must have spent a couple hours getting the rows right how I wanted them. Afterwards, Joe called out, "Hey Sister Canada! I'm going to call that patch Canadian Corn!" I told him that he should call it Taber corn. That's closer to the mark.
For all those that don't care about corn, I apologize, for it will always be a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Yes, I am from a hometown famous for its corn. Yes, I've even been in a local children's theatre production called "Corn Capers". Yes, I used to play hide and seek in cornfields. Corn is just weaved into the fibres of my being I guess. 

This week's been a fun one. I think learning how to train is kind of like learning how to raise a child. You learn as you go. Sister FieFia is on fire though! She's amazing! She has such a fire and passion for the work and for learning the Gospel! I love that girl. I'm trying to help her adjust to American culture, but it's definitely different here. 

Yesterday there was a Stake Priesthood meeting. Of course, we didn't go, but apparently President Carlson (the first Councillor in the Stake Presidency who is in our ward) talked about us Sisters over the pulpit, and he said a few nice (probably too nice) things about us. That made me laugh. All the Elders that attended texted us about it. 

Also, yesterday during sacrament at Heritage (the assisted living facility) we had a new lady who decided to join us with her dog, peaches. Well, she had never attended a service before, and so when the bread was passed she leaned to me and asked if she could feed her bread to her dog. I turned to her and whispered, "I wouldn't judge you for it" but all she heard was, "I wouldn't..." and so she popped it quickly into her mouth. :P I don't know if I've ever seen a dog in Sacrament meeting before now, but it was more than welcome! I think the old folks like it. 

On a more Spiritual note, it's amazing that even on the mission the Sabbath day is set apart. It makes such a difference to me. You see, lately I have been facing some feelings of discouragement because of a few things that have happened (or not happened) in our area. However, after attending sacrament meeting it was as though all those negative feelings melted away. It was a miracle! I'm so blessed to see miracles here all the time. I'm so grateful for the chance to serve, and to see that. I hope my mission continues to change me for the better, because I need to make a lot of improvements. But they will come! There was an interesting analogy given yesterday about a garden. The plants that had the most access to the Sun grew and flourished. That can be just like us. The more we allow the Son in our lives, and to truly feel His influence, the more ability we have to change for the better, and grow to reach our potential. I know that to be true. True change takes time and effort, but it's lasting, and worth it.

A great Message to look up is called, "The Will of God." It's one of my personal favorites. :)

I love you all! Have a great week! Go wrestle some Polar Bears!
<3 Sister Bennett


The Will of God


No comments:

Post a Comment