Thursday, June 26, 2014

Week 31: "The Call"

June 23, 2014
Dear ALL, 

Aloha! Once again, from the land of Idaho, your own living and true Sister Bennett! As of Thursday, I have been serving my mission for 7 months. I cannot believe time passes so quickly! That's not allowed. I think I've forgotten my first name. I never want to stop being Sister Bennett! (Or Sister Canada, whichever you prefer.) 

It's been a good week. I CANNOT believe it's already almost been an entire transfer since Sister Fiefia became my companion. Time flies when you have fun! And when you learn a lot. I have much yet to learn about being a trainer. 

For some reason, much of our success is among the senior population of our area. It's pretty incredible to see people in their 70's have a desire to change. It's also humbling to have them express gratitude for the help we are giving them. It's amazing that the Lord trusts us, just kids in our 20's, to do His work. Particularly, I'm grateful that we bring the Spirit with us, and that others recognize that. We couldn't do this work without it. Even one of our younger investigators who wasn't sure if she believed in God even feels it. I told her that even if she didn't recognize it, she feels the Spirit when she is with us. She wholeheartedly agreed, and told us that is why she likes us to come over so much!
 
I've also learned that being open, honest, and bold always seems worth it, and almost always is taken well if you show others that you truly love others and care about them. It's amazing how much being a missionary increases your love for others. 

I'm not ready to leave this area. I've been here for 4 and a half months, and I want to stay for 6 or 7 and a half. There is still work to do!
 
This weekend Patsy's being baptized! I'm excited for that. We've been working towards that for a while now. She's ready.

This Wednesday we went on exchanges - so once again I had the chance to spend the day with the amazing Sister Haas. I've never met anyone so motivated and hardworking. We had fun contacting many of our potential investigators. 

Remember when I told you that I planted an entire corn patch a couple weeks ago? Well, I went to follow up, and Joe told me it hadn't come up. I was taken aback. However, when I went to actually take a look, it had almost all come up! It looked great! I spent a good while weeding it, and making sure the rows were clear so nobody would kill them. I love that corn patch. It's mine. 

This Friday our ward put on a Dutch Oven cookoff. They decided to have us sing - which was exciting - but unfortunately it didn't work well in the setting due to sound issues. They apologized, but we were fine. Live and learn. :) At least I have some more sheet music to work with now! It's more fun songs too. I'm sure it will come in handy someday. By the way, the food at the activity was SO GOOD. Particularly the cobbler made in the dutch ovens. Now I've said too much. Mmm. 

Also, yesterday I had the chance to teach Gospel Principles. It was on the Holy Ghost, and so we had two volunteers that we took outside and blindfolded. Then, we altered the classroom to make it a maze, and had our volunteers try to make it, 1 at a time, through the classroom to an opposite door. They were told to listen to me - I shook my keys, and they had to follow the sound to safety - after they recognized that it lead them in the right way. However, I had everyone else in the room try to guide them away from the right path. One volunteer I would only shake my keys occasionally, and she was led astray for a while. The other I consistently shook them, and he wasn't dissuaded from the path. It was our little object lesson on the Holy Ghost, and the difference it makes to have the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was fun. 

I love you! I can't believe it's been a year since I've gotten my call, but am I ever grateful for it. There is no place I would rather be. Good luck with everything! I would love to hear from you. :)

Love, 
Sister B. 

p.s. I forgot to tell you all about the highlight of my week! It was when we got to go to the temple as a district! It honestly felt like a vacation. I love going to the temple. Here are some pictures. :) The Boise temple is small, but very pretty. Of course.

Our district at the temple!
The "Danny Bennett" pose.
Fun at the Fife's. We had a special guest.

AND picture time.








Our district leaders.
All the Elders in the Zone.
I hate Chihwawas. As you can tell by my inability to spell it remotely correctly. They happen to be my least favorite dog of all time. But this baby one is so darn cute.






No comments:

Post a Comment