Monday, July 21, 2014

Week 35: "Malo Tau Ma'u Pongipongini!! (I speak Tongan now)"

Dearest Anyone and Everyone, 

Happy P-Day! It's been a busy week! Of course, that's how it always feel. I admit, the days on the mission feel long. Really long. But then the weeks fly by! It is entirely not right. How has time passed? Yesterday I had sort of an awakening. I've been out on my mission for 8 months! I have only 10 months to go, it is ridiculous in all manners of the word. 

The Bel Air ward feels like home. Things continue to progress. It's been an interesting week. FINALLY - yesterday - both Sister Fiefia and I were feeling 100% better. No more sickness, please. But it's still been a good week! 

Wednesday we went on leadership exchanges. We had a training in the morning about the Holy Ghost, and applied it out in the work. Well, I learned some interesting things that day.

A question I like to ask of late to those we teach is, "Do you have a desire to know if the Book of Mormon is true?" I've found a lot of people don't know. This time though in a particular appointment with a lady who has met with us to learn more. I felt impressed to ask her, "If you prayed about Book of Mormon, and God told you it was true, would you act on it?" Her answer, to my surprise, was a no - she would not be willing. Well, as hard as that may be to hear, it was good to see where she stands. I love it when people are honest though. That was a unique experience. It's been wonderful talking with her though, just to learn her views, although we've agreed to meet only one more time. She told us we are very good representatives of our faith. 

In contrast to that experience, Wednesday night we had our mission President's wife, Sister Winder come out with us! Oh how I love that woman. :) We were able to have a wonderful lesson that night with another of our investigators about the Spirit. We watched the "Patterns of Light" videos by David A. Bednar. Pretty powerful. I think it was a wonderful moment for our investigator to recognize that the feeling of love and peace she has when she meets with us is the Spirit. This was all the more evident in a lesson we had with her later on in the week. I had a feeling to stop talking (sometimes I get ahead of myself) and let my companion share. Well, Sister Fiefia spoke from the heart, more so than I've ever heard her before, and it was probably one of the most spiritual lessons I've been in on my mission. 

I've found that no matter how much opposition or negativity we face, those moments where we help others feel and discover that incredible love of God - those moments where I can see someone else's eyes light up - those moments make it all worth it. 

I've also rediscovered what a powerful influence music is in my life. One night after we got home I just felt flustered and a little anxious. I decided to try listening to an old CD that the Andrus's have. Well, almost immediately after doing so, I calmed down and was able to relax - despite how old fashioned and "not quite my taste" the music was. ;) I think that music will always play an important role in my life. Out here they are offering free piano lessons for missionaries every PDay! Sign me up! That's going to be such a blessing. I'm sick of almost, but not quite being able to play songs. I have improved out here though! I've taught myself how to better read music. Hopefully with the lessons I'll be able to progress faster. 

Speaking of music, the other day we were in a home where "Frozen" was playing in the background. Yes, I was able to not be distracted by it, but oh man was it tough. ESPECIALLY when I kept on hearing snippets of the song "Let it Go", which I've never heard before except when children sing it to us. I need to watch that movie the moment I get home. 

Lastly, I gave another 5 minute talk about Pioneers, and mentioned Andrew Watson in it! (Is he my great great grandfather?) What an incredible man. I love the story of him falling in the snow in exhaustion, and two women from his party noticed he was gone. They came back several miles in the snow to find him, put him on their handcart, and brought him back to safety. He was so cold he didn't notice his clothing had caught fire when he was put by it to get warm. Without the courage and love of those two brave women I would not be here. I have much to thank for the sacrifices those pioneers made. :)

AND...that's all folks. I love you all! Know that you're in my prayers! Remember who you are and what you stand for!

Love, 
Sister Bennett

P.s. I always think of all I need to say to you all...and then I forget it all when it finally comes to emailing! Oh well, press forward. :) 

Patterns of Light: The Light of Christ


Patterns of Light: Discerning Light


Patterns of Light: Spirit of Revelation

No comments:

Post a Comment