Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Week 47: "Epic Fails, Maple Leafs, and Quarterbacks"

October 13, 2014
Dear Everyone,

Well, why is it that I always seem to not have as much time as I intend on having? Oh well, such is the nature of the mission.

This week. Hmm. This week. Well, it had some glorious moments! And some hilarious moments. But mostly it was us doing what we do best - try to take over the world! ...Or not. :P We are just up to the same missionary things!

Sometimes I have to remind myself to not be frustrated about things, especially when they are out of my control. So I'm gonna stop that right now. :)

My favorite moments of the week? Well, I'll tell ya!

1. Lets start with my embarrassing moment. We were walking on the street, and we saw two boys walking with a baseball bat. I asked them if they were going to play. One was going to answer me, but then he tripped in a random, foot size mud hole hiding on the corner of the sidewalk. He tried to walk it off nonchalantly, but his foot and leg were covered in mud! What a trooper. I felt so badly. Sometimes talking with everyone doesn't bring about the best results...My companion couldn't stop laughing.

2. Maple leafs. The leaves are changing colors! And it is beautiful here! AND everyone's getting decked out for Halloween, especially in Hidden Springs. The houses are crazy! Light shows, skeletons on the roof, everything! In fact, one house had a casket out front. Intense. My companion found a perfect, red, maple leaf. Like the one on our flag. She was going to take a picture, but didn't have her camera. Well, we had stopped walking and sat down temporarily so I could make a phone call and we could figure out dinner...and without thinking I picked up her maple leaf, and started playing with it. And ripped it. I killed her leaf! She'll never let me hear the end of it. :)

3. GRAMS was baptized in my past area! I had the chance to go back, speak on Baptism, and see many that I love, including Sister Roundy, Sister Fiefia, and Angie! And to top it off with whipped tender mercy topping, when we left families were coming in to do Stake baptisms, and I saw the JENKS! One of my favorite families in the world! I was so happy.

4. We got to see Meet the Mormons as a Zone! I forgot how much film can be a powerful medium for good. :) I really do love documentaries. Yes, I'll admit I miss watching movies, but don't worry, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. And I would recommend it to anyone! Especially those who want to know more about what us Mormons are about. :) It helps dissolve a lot of stereotypes. And no, I didn't cry. (Almost.)

5. We finally met with the Mapes! They're a family that are on and off investigating the Church, and I've been trying to meet them since getting here two months ago. We had a great visit with them, and ended up using our creative talents to help them decorate for Halloween! Their son has nicknamed me Princess Bennett. I wonder where that came from. It was a great tender mercy, that's for sure. I'm excited to work with them. 

6. A lady we met on the street the other day wants to meet with us! Miracles on miracles! We were late for dinner that day because we met her, and ended up talking for a while about the restoration! She's going to Comic Con this week, so we'll see what happens in a couple weeks from now. 

I love this work. I love my companion, and am learning SO much from her. Her story is amazing, and I love getting to know more of it every day. It's refreshing. I'm grateful for her light. I'm grateful that missions aren't what I expected them to be. I'm grateful for the boring or frustrating moments, or those moments when everyone cancels and you have to re-plan what to do. I'm grateful, because without those experiences I don't think I would treasure those moments where things do seem to just fall into place. 

I love you all!

Love, 
Sister Rachel Ann Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment