Monday, February 10, 2014

Week 12: "Freeeeedooomm!!"

2/10/14
Dear my most humble, wonderful family,

How are you? How is everything going up in the great white North? Are you watching the Olympics? I hear that Canada is doing really well, which is awesome. It's definitely a sacrifice not to watch them.

What a wonderful week! I continue to enjoy being a missionary more and more. I love that we meet and talk with all types of people. It causes me to reflect often on who I want to be.

First and foremost, we found two new investigators this week! We found Yasmin through tracting. We knocked on her door, and she ended up letting us in! (Which rarely happens.) She was younger, like us, so it was almost a relief talking to her, since so often we work with people that are far older than us. We'll be teaching her the first lesson this week. :) Also, we teach a lady who used to be inactive but now wants to get back to church and become temple worthy. She asked us to re-teach her the lessons so she understands the simple doctrines of the gospel more fully. That's one of the most important things I feel we do as missionaries - we help people build foundations in the gospel. Once your foundation is firm, you understand the small things so much better, such as the commandments. So, we began to teach her, and she ended up inviting a friend who is a former investigator. The funny thing is that when Sister Allen was in her past area she had visited this lady's home and asked if she wanted to learn more, and at that time she said no! But now she does want to learn more!  Things truly happen in the Lord's timing, that's for sure. You learn a lot of patience as missionaries.

I had the chance to sing in church yesterday! I sang, "Oh Lord, My Redeemer." It went really well.

We also had a lot of fun this week. Since it snowed (a lot in Boise standards) we decided to build a snowman as a district! It was HUGE - about eight or nine feet tall. It took six of us to lift the second snowball onto the first. We had a blast doing so though - and we got drenched since it was raining! Good day. Our district gets along really well. Earlier this week we had a snowball fight as a Zone...until the zone leader accidentally hit me square in the eyes. Even though it hurt, I thought it was funny. It took a couple days for my left eye to feel 100% though. My zone leader felt awful.



Sister Allen and I also started getting up at 6am four times a week to go workout at the gym with some sisters in our ward. It's pretty hard core. I love it! It's amazing how much energy I have every day.

One thing I absolutely love about the mission is seeing the positive changes the gospel can bring in people's lives. I've been reflecting on it for the past few days, and I've found that people's confidence grows and evolves as they come to know that they truly are sons and daughters of a loving Heavenly Father, and that they have a divine potential. I feel as though it's easy in the world to feel unimportant, or that you're not measuring up to some standard, whether that is wealth, popularity, prestige, ideals about body image, talents etc. But as you come to know Heavenly Father, and of his plan, you know more of your purpose, and I feel like it's easier to focus on the important things. To love others, to serve, and to seek knowledge and understanding. To not to lift yourself up by putting others down, but rather to continually work to become the best you can be. To come to know who we really are, and to continually strive to be better. That's why I love the Gospel. :)

Well, I love you! I'm sorry I write novels, I'll be better next week! Oh, and happy Valentines this week! I expect reports on all the hot dates you went on. ;)

Love, 

Sister Rachel Bennett

Sister Bennett and Sister Allen taught the Gospel Principles class during Sunday School

No comments:

Post a Comment