Thursday, February 27, 2014

Week 13: "Walkin' on Sunshine"

Dear famzies and friendzos,

How was Valentines Day?! What could be better than a day celebrating love? Go on any dates? Ali, Nathan and Jeff reported back to me *nod of approval* but I still haven't heard from anyone else!

That's alright. I forgive you. We got a text that morning from our AP's wishing us a Happy Valentines, and reminding us to lock our hearts. Don't worry - I've got that covered. ;) Gotta love the life of a missionary. 
That Valentine's morning we spread our love by saving a cat! We swung by to visit Joyce, and we noticed her cat wasn't there. We immediately ran outside, calling the cat's name. Using my farm girl instincts I followed the loud meows until I found her stuck up in a tree across the street at the neighbors. She doesn't have front claws so she couldn't climb down! We ended up getting a ladder to save her. As well, that day we dropped by a lady who has been dealing with a lot of muscle problems recently. While there, her husband's barbershop quartet happened to drop in, so they sang all of their songs for us! I've gotten more gifts for Valentines Day as a missionary from our friends than I ever have before in my past life. :D I definitely feel loved by the people we see and work with in this area!

The day after Valentines Day, we were in the turning lane when a truck two vehicles ahead of us stalled! Sister Allen and I, along with a few others got out and helped push this truck through the intersection, over to the side of the road. As we headed back, I noticed that someone else who had helped push - a guy who looked a little older than myself - was looking at me, and at my nametag. He started talking to me, and asked me what my name was. I knew he had read my nametag, but nonetheless I still replied, "Sister Bennett." He then told me his name, and then said, "I go to Calvary Chapel! I know its not Mormon but..." I replied something like "That's great!", and then headed back to my car because we were in the middle of the road. It looked like he wanted to ask something more as I left. As I got in the car he finally called out, "You're really beautiful by the way!" Sister Allen and I had a good laugh about that one.

Last week, I had a few opportunities to sing. I was asked to sing at a Zone Conference, and sang, "Abide with Me." It's one of my favorite hymns, so that was a cool experience. I think it went well. This past Sunday Sister Allen and I sang a duet - Amazing Grace. The first two verses we alternated singing solo, and then for the next two I harmonized. That was fun as well. However, I think my highlight was visiting a lady - Shauna - whom we have never met before. At first it was a little awkward (meeting people for the first time can be that way), but then we got talking music. She is an incredible piano player, and is a paid accompanist for several Catholic Mass services, as well as for several choirs. When she found out I was in Les Miserables this past summer she got really excited and immediately jumped to her piano. We proceeded to have a jam session. Huzzah. It's been a while since I've had a chance to sing and just belt so freely, especially to music that I know and love. Pure happiness. :) She also played some jazz songs for Sister Allen to sing to. By the end we were talking musicals and artists like good friends, and tied in a spiritual thought to it as well. She invited us to come back any time we would like! I'm planning on taking her up that offer. :) 

There have been a few people we've met this week that we haven't been able to see before. A few individuals told us they've been waiting for missionaries to come by, and they want us to continue to visit, and help them spiritually, since their current circumstances do not allow them to come to church. I feel lucky to work with these people. One family we visit runs what they would like to become a non-profit organization. They gather donations all around the city - such as furniture and clothes. Then they travel to donate these things to the homes of those in need. Right now this project is being funded on their own money, which is pretty incredible to me considering their situation. I can tell they just love it. Since their house was filled to the brim with donated furniture we ended up talking outside for about an hour. 

One more funny story! There are a few kids in the ward who get excited to see us. We were sitting in church in the second last row during sacrament meeting, and during sacrament a six year old stood up on a bench near the front, pointed back to us, and yelled so the entire chapel could hear, "Look! The Sister Missionaries!!"

Well, I love you all. Thanks for all your support and prayers! 

LOVE, 
Sister B. 

P.s. It was 60 degrees outside yesterday. In February. Can I say ridiculous? Ridiculous. 

Sister A & B lookin' fine!  I'm going to miss that Sister Allen!

No comments:

Post a Comment